Surprisingly, some of my favorite bands' eagerly anticipated new albums didn't make the cut (Arcade Fire, the Shins, Wilco). Instead, my list is headed by two bands I found out about just this year:
- The Broken West: "I Can't Go On, I'll Go On" - Americana/roots rock a la Tom Petty, but full of pure pop sunshine.
- O'Death: "Head Home" - Saw these guys at the Hideout Block Party. Full-on country-punk madness from this New York band.
- Modest Mouse: "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" - The one highly anticipated album that actually lived up to the hype.
- Robert Plant & Alison Krauss: "Raising Sand" - I never thought I'd like anything Robert Plant did this much, but these are beautiful songs.
- Josh Ritter: "The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter (with Bonus EP)" - My Oberlin College classmate finally starts rockin' out.